Menotrophins(Brand Name:Menopur)，also called Human Menopausal Gonadotrophin or HMG, is a gonadotrophin extracted from the urine of postmenopausal women. It was successfully introduced into clinical use by Bruno Lunenfeld in 1961. And Menotrophins injection was first approved in China in 1993 for the treatment of gynecological diseases.
Menotrophins Uses(Therapeutic Indication)
Menotropins’ therapeutic indication is for primary or secondary menostasia induced by secretion deficiency of gonadotropins and fertilitas feminis induced by anovulation.
Menotrophins Mechanism of action
- FSH ( follicle stimulating hormone receptor) is the primary driver of follicular recruitment and growth in early folliculogenesis. LH (luteinizing hormone) is important for ovarian steroidogenesis and is involved in the physiological events leading to development of a competent pre-ovulatory follicle.
- Menotropins is a combination drug containing both FSH and LH, therefore, it induces ovarian follicular growth and development as well as gonadal steroid production in women who do not have ovarian failure.
- It binds to the FSH, which results in ovulation in the absence of sufficient endogenous LH. It also binds the LH receptor, thereby stimulating proper hormone release. https://go.drugbank.com/drugs/DB00032
Menotrophins in China
At present, the Menotrophins from Ferring GmbH in Germany has been registered in China under the brand name of Menopur as high purity HMG drug. Except for Menopur, there are 8 domestic companies with Menotrophins products on China market, of which 6 are injections, mainly in two specifications, 75 units and 150 units.
According to the recent data, Ferring and Livzon occupy a large share for Menotrophins products in China.
- Ferring’s Menopur are imported with higher purity and better safety. The price is significantly higher than that of domestic products.
- Livzon’s Menotropins for Injection does not have a high purity as the previous one, but have nearly 50% market share because of the low price.
- Except for this 2 factory, Menotropins for Injectio from Ningbo Renjian Pharmaceutical Group Co.,Ltd, Anhui BBCA Pharmaceutical Co Ltd and Yantai Dongcheng Beifang Pharmaceutical Co Ltd are also on the market.
More information about menotropins
For the start (the 5th day of period), 75 IU to 150 IU is given, once a day. After 7 days, the dosage is adjusted in terms of estrogen level and follicle growth and the dose increases to 150 to 225 IU daily. After the follicle is mature, intramuscularly inject HCG of 10000 IU to induce ovulation. If ovary shows no response to three weeks after injection, the administration should be halted.
Menotropins Side effects
The most common side effects reported are abdominal pain, headache, injection site reactions and pain(redness, pain, swelling, or irritation).
Other common side effects include:
- Breast tenderness or enlargement
- Mild stomach pain
- Ovarian enlargement
- Shortness of breath
- Weakness or aching of muscles or joints